Easy Keto Creamy Baked Chicken
This is a super easy chicken dish that you can throw together in 5-10 minutes and pop in the oven and leave for 40 minutes or so, then bingo a delicious dinner is ready!
By using zucchini, eggplant and mushrooms, you get lovely baked vegetables which are filling but without the carbs from traditional root veggies such as potato. The garlic, herbs and dash of cream give this recipe lots of flavour and a lovely natural creamy sauce.
- 4 free range/organic chicken thigh cutlets (with skin / on bone) or chicken marylands
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 large zucchini
- 6 large field mushrooms
- 1 red onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 stick of celery
- 4-6 cloves of garlic
- A few tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil & 50g butter
- 2 tablespoons of fresh mixed herbs (I like thyme, oregano, sage and parsley)
- ½ cup cream (preferably organic)
- Salt & pepper
- Dice the carrot and celery into small pieces and roughly slice the onion into medium sized pieces.
- Cut the mushrooms into three or four large pieces, and cut eggplant and zucchini into large chunks (approximately 8-10cm in length and 4cm wide)
- Smash and peel the garlic and leave in small chunky pieces
- Place all veggies in a large ceramic baking dish, drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and toss to combine. Scatter 2/3 of the herbs over the veggies and add a few dobs of butter and drizzle cream over the veggies.
- Place the chicken pieces on top of the veggies, drizzle a little more olive oil, add salt and pepper and scatter over the remaining herbs.
- Cook in moderate oven (180 deg C) for approximately 45 minutes, or until chicken is cooked and golden brown. NB: If using larger marylands, you can cover with foil for the first 20 minutes, then remove foil and finish cooking. (If unsure if chicken is cooked, test by sticking a metal skewer in the thickest piece of meat, close to the bone, to ensure meat is cooked and when cooked juices should run clear.)
- Serve vegetables on a plate then top with chicken.
- You can serve with some steamed greens on the side or a nice green salad.
Vegetarian option: Instead of chicken add cubed tofu and bake along with the vegetables – reduce cooking to around 25-30 mins.
Non-Keto option: You can also make this non-keto and serve with some pasta mixed in with the creamy veggies sauce!